16 August 2009

Remembering Mom



Today as with every day, my thoughts are with my mom and how she left us much too early in life. She actually passed on August 21st, just two days before my birthday. Some day maybe it won't hurt so much. It's in these times that I wish she were here to see her grandson begin Kindergarten, watch him dive to the bottom of the pool, just to be here in general.

Sometimes when I need her most is when I hear one of her favorite songs on the radio or catch myself doing something just as she would. It brings that familiar tightening to my throat, the tears to my eyes, the longing look upward to where she hopefully is looking down upon us. And that never ending question of why.

I think of the fun times and the funny times with her. Her famous campsite bathroom groping incident. While in the one of the two bathroom stalls (taking care of business), I hear..."Naomi?". I reply, "Yes, I'm over here, mom." To which she replies, "Oh SHIT, let's get out of here!". Once I return to camp I find out why she and my sister Jill left me high and dry in the dark campground bathroom. Truth was, although I was the intended victim, it wasn't my ankle she was fondling under the bathroom stall and that poor woman she was grabbing probably never went camping again. We've laughed about that for 15 years now.

This picture I'm posting today is of my mom and I on the Avon Breast Cancer Walk. It was 60 miles over 3 days and we both made it. This was taken just a few months before she was diagnosed the 2nd time.

So many memories and 99.9% of them fantastic. Go rest high on that mountain mom. I love you!!!

No comments: