11 December 2010

Campbell Year In Review 2010

With 2010 coming to a close and 2011 just around the corner, I was determined to update my blog at least once. It's been a year of triumphs and challenges,
but overall a happy one for the Campbell family. We were blessed to take several short day trips (Angel Island, Ft.Ross, Safari West, Grist Mill, Doran Beach)
and our annual trip to Feather River at the end of June.

Each year about this time, I try to think back to everything I wanted to get done, but never seem to have the time to fit in. It's always a challenge to manage one's life in addition to their child's. Fortunately, there was one less stress this year. In May, I finally finished all of my pre-requisites for the Physician's Assistant program and/or Nursing school. I've sent off my applications and now I patiently await a response from either UC Davis or the Santa Rosa JC. I probably won't hear
anything until late Spring of 2011. I'm moving into my 3rd year working at Sebastopol Orthopaedics and I'm still enjoying it. It's been wonderful to learn so much from the two doctors and applying what I've learned in school to my job. I'm fortunate to have steady employment when so many do not. Much of my "free time" is spent with Colin and Alex and of course my other pass time, which is exercise. I am faithful to my x-treme muscle class at the Airport Club and to my twice weekly 5:30am walks with cousin Karen around Spring Lake. Early in 2011 I'll begin training with several of my co-workers for the Cinderella Classic, a ladies only 60 mile bike ride which takes place in April.

My baby boy is now 6 and not such a baby anymore; 4'3 and wearing a size 2 shoe, he's been growing like the proverbial weed! Colin had an adventurous year. He began 1st grade at Village Charter School with his new teacher, Miss Barnum. His class is a 1st/2nd combo class of 20 children and they have the most amazing time in there. In addition the the three R's, over the course of the year they also learn over 100 songs and poems, dance, take Aikido, perform theatre, spin wool, knit, sew, weave, cook, grow their own vegetable garden, keep a farmers almanac, take amazing field trips to see live theater, view wild African animals and visit historic places such as the Grist Mill in Calistoga. He's quite busy forging new friendships and expanding his mind. I've been fortunate enough to spend quite a bit of time with the kids on Friday's when we cook. Last evening we went to the school for the winter carnival. The parents and teachers spent so much time creating memorable nature based crafts for the kids to make and bring home. Colin also played his second season of under 6 soccer in the Northwest Oaks league. He really improved his skills this year and had a fantastic time playing for the Ducks. Colin began piano this year with our neighbor Lezlie. She's a superb piano teacher and especially keen to teaching piano to boys. Any parent of boys knows what I'm talking about. He's played in two recitals this year along with her 9 other students. He also tried his hand, or shall I say his feet at ice hockey. The lesson's were fun, but we found out, it's much more fun to just skate around the rink. He's also had a lot of fun during sleepovers with his cousin Rowan in Sebastopol. His childhood experiences with his cousin remind me of all the fun weekends spent with my cousins when I was his age. We're very proud of Colin and his adventurous spirit. He certainly keeps us busy with all this activities and boundless energy.

Alex remains steadfast in his job at ZAP. Although quite stressful, he's thankful to have a job that provides for his family so well. This year ZAP was involved in the Progressive Insurance X-Prize, which meant he traveled to Michigan several times over the year, with each trip lasting up to two weeks. ZAP came in 4th out of 136 companies and they were one of only seven to survive the entire competition and were voted most practical, most stylish and most wanted in an online fan pole. ZAP forged new business relationships and is in the final stages of a merger with a Chinese company, Jonway. Alex having been with the company for such a long time has been an integral part in showcasing ZAP to the public and investors through his job as public relations and marketing expert. It's a stressful position to be in and he
has sacrificed much of his personal time and energy to further the company. In his off time, Alex enjoys playing music with his band, Blues Cycle. This past September, they put on their 3rd annual summer music jam at band member, Jeff's house. Alex
has also enjoyed getting musical with Colin and they often play duets on piano and guitar together. They both have an amazing talent to play by ear and can often hear a tune just once and go pick it out on the piano or guitar. I enjoy hearing them both play. Alex has also taken an interest in his physical health and has begun working out at his gym 4-5 times per week. I'm proud of him for taking better care of himself this year and I know he's enjoying the benefits of being more fit.

We've been blessed at the end of this year to have staying with us a Chinese-Italian exchange student. Jing Jing is 22 and is in the final year of her studies, majoring in international business in Milan, Italy. She's spending this year performing work experience at a local company, Green Ray. She's quite intelligent and adventurous coming all this way from Italy for the sake of higher education. She spent her first American Thanksgiving with both of our families and was graciously welcomed by all. She's been the perfect roommate thus far and we look forward to taking her on some day trips to see the sights of our beautiful Sonoma County.

Our animal population remains steady at one dog (Rudy), one indoor cat (Tigger), three outdoor "hillbilly" cats (Sunday, Socks, Boston)and 5 fish (Silvery - the gold fish, Froggy Fish - the algae guy, and their 3 unnamed companion fish who school together). All seem to be doing well. Rudy is in his 14th year and is definitely showing signs of his age. He's grown gray around the jaw, cannot hear and probably barely sees, but he can smell a dropped sandwich or piece of cheese from several
yards away and routinely steals food if you're not watching it closely. Tigger spends most of his days lounging on the bed or more recently on the dogs bed.

We're looking forward to the new year and to hopefully spending more time with our family and friends. We hope that your year has been just as adventurous and that you are in good heath. Wishing you all the happiness you deserve.

Love, Naomi, Alex and Colin

No comments: