I'm not sure if anyone is really all that interested, but I just finished my Acute Care class. My "home floor" was Telemetry where I assisted with the basics of patient care. Having been told that it was much faster pace than nursing home care, I expected to be racing all over the place. It however is actually a slower pace because in acute care, you're not generally getting everyone up, showered and dressed before 8AM. Mostly people in acute care they're hanging out in bed and getting a bed bath maybe before, maybe after breakfast (as most of the patients are willing participants in their care). Anyway, it was a fun time nonetheless. I took vitals, passed trays, followed the Care Partners around, etc.
I did have the opportunity to rotate into 4 departments. Emergency, the Operating Room, Imaging (CT scans, etc.) and Obstetrics (including the newborn intensive care unit). My favorite was Imaging and the O.R. I actually was granted the opportunity to be in on two surgeries standing right next to the doctor. It was really amazing. The ICN (Intensive Care Nursery) was sort of boring; they just sleep and get IV's and remain in their isolettes. Nothing major happened in my E.R. stint (it's not like on TV folks); just some guy came in after he had a seizure...Woopie!
All in all, I loved the experience and I see that several openings are on the hospital website and I plan to apply ASAP. It was also really cool to visit the Lizard with regularity on my breaks.
Hey, spell check is NOT working for me, so if you see some glaring mistake, please let me know.
1 comment:
Sounds interesting to me! I love those surgery shows, so this is up my alley. Okay, you asked, whoopie is spelled with an 'h'. How about labor and delivery? I think that would be fun!
Post a Comment